10 Jun

Writing on Social Media: Don’t Write to Avoid the Naysayers

Published in: Blog
| Written by 

As high schools and elementary schools across the U.S. continue to drop the “Indian” mascot, Washington’s NFL team owner, Daniel Snyder, vows to never change the mascot from the current name, “Redskins”.  I realize that I am not of Native decent, therefore I can’t speak to the level of offensiveness to the name. However, I do recognize a mascot as a thing of dignity and high regard; therefore do not understand why it’d be offensive to begin with.

Congress has even decided to step in and demand that Daniel Snyder change the name of the team, at a cost of $220 million to rebrand the team, according to Snyder.

As I said, I have little right to determine whether or not the term is offensive, as the term doesn’t apply to me. There is a large group of people that believe that the Washington Redskins are a tribute to Native Americans. That group of people happens to include the Native Americans themselves. Yes that's right, 90% of American Indians do not find the term "Redskins" offensive in any way. This raises an important question… How is it that 10% of the offended continually drive change for the other 90% of the population?redskins rtr

This happens to us when write for our Social Media audience, doesn’t it? Do you write to avoid being offensive? Does this fear of being offensive limit your voice on a topic? Do you not say what’s on your mind because you may lose a customer if they don’t agree?

Hogwash. The 90% of people that agree with you will far outweigh the 10% that don’t . In fact, by staying on the fence all the time, you may even lose the respect of some of the 90%. As long are you are being true to yourself and morally straight, you have nothing to fear from the opposition. Sometimes, some push back from an opposing point of view is good publicity for your company and long as you handle it with dignity.

The internet may be responsible for this. It’s so much easier to say something negative behind a computer. I think we as marketers put too much weight on that negativity. It doesn’t mean as much as you may think. When you handle a negative comment with grace and strength, people see that.   What they see is a reasonable owner and a real person. I think more people connect with that than those that follow what negative poster is saying about you. Your audience is smart enough to see whether or not a complaint is valid or not. They care more about how you react anyway.

Daniel Synder drew a line in the sand, and it appears that the Redskin faithful have his back (article). When you are true to yourself, stand firm, and speak from the heart, your customers will have your back as well…

Last modified on Monday, 10 June 2013 20:43
Chad VanCalster

Chad VanCalster is a businesss development specialist with Sonix Studio, a web development, design, SEO and hosting firm with offices in Green Bay, Wisconsin and Dallas, Texas. A Computer Science graduate of Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Chad started his career consulting for large corporations in the northern Wisconsin region, including Wisconsin Tissue, Georgia Pacific and Schneider National, among others.

Through experiences with marketing within his own company, Chad became a student of Internet Marketing, with a focus on Social Media.  That eventually branched into helping clients with THEIR Social Media Marketing.  Chad is an expert at using social media to expand your credibility and impact in your chosen markets.

Have a question? Read enough? Contact us today!
Contact us